Korea

So, last year I told everyone, "I'm going to be an exchange student in South Korea for my senior year of high school." Sure that's what I said, but I didn't really believe my own words. So here I am in South Korea and this is my life.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Okay, so the last thing I talked about is that I was sick. That was not a good note to end on, but computer class (where absolutely no one does what they are supposed to, everyone was surfing the web) was over. Now I'm not very sick, only a litte coughing.

The next thing I wanted to talk about was the transportation system here. As, I may have said earlier, Seoul has a population of 12 million, and if all of these people owned cars and drove them everyday, traffic jams would never move. Therefore they have an amazing subway and bus system along with taxis everywhere. Right now the bus system confuses me, and if I were alone, I would probably end up taking a bus to north-western Seoul when I wanted to get home, and I live in the south-eastern part of the city. The subway system is easy though. There are maps that tell where each one stops and the lines are color codes. I live at the very end of line 3 which is orange, and the name of my stop is 수서 or Suseo. Another way of traveling is by foot. Sometimes when we are walking we will go underground through one of the subway entrances to avoid traffic, or just because the place where we want to go is underground. It is almost like a second city underground.

I started school on Wednesday, Aug 24. Everyone at school wears uniforms, because they are required, but Torie (the other exchange student from Minnesota, Wayzeta) don't have uniforms yet. I think that we were supposed to use these musty ones in the basement, but they are no good, so now we are waiting for the school to pay for our new uniforms. In the mean time we just wear our normal clothes to school and stand out more than we normally would. Anyway, at school everyone is coming up to us and saying "hi" or "hello" and trying to speak english, because we are both pretty hopeless when it comes to Korean. Everyone is telling us that we are "pretty" and "beautiful" and that I have "beautiful big eyes" and things like that. Everyone wants to know if we have boyfriends and many of the boys say that they are very interested, but don't worry, right now I am mainly interested in learning the language and tae kwon do (I'll get to that later) and making friends who are girls.

More later, right now I need to get ready to hike a mountain with my mom, brother and two pet dogs.

Feel free to post comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.