Korea

So, last year I told everyone, "I'm going to be an exchange student in South Korea for my senior year of high school." Sure that's what I said, but I didn't really believe my own words. So here I am in South Korea and this is my life.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Sorry it's been such a long time since I last wrote and I never updated you about Jeju. I'll start...

Forms of Transportation I took in or to Jeju...

Subway
Airplane
Car
Boat
Horse
Elephant

Things to remember...

*The look on the youngest boys face when he first met me and usually there after...a huge smile
*Trying to explain things using my electronic dictionary
*Eating Bulgogi burgers at Lotteria in the airport
*The boy's excitement as we lifted off the ground in the airplane, it was his first flight
*The sunsetting over islands while we were flying over (but I was on the east side of the plane)
*Buying groceries in Jeju city to cook for the rest of the trip (I was told I had to choose things to buy, but didn't know what to choose. I don't go shopping in Korea)
*Riding at least an hour with 4 kids and me in one row in the van, because everyone wanted to sit by me
*The cold weather I hadn't expected on what I was told would be a semi-tropical island (i had to borrow a coat)
*HAMEL- the boat of Hamel, the dutch captain who sailed with his crew to japan, but shipwrecked on Jejudo. The first western contact with Korea.
*Dragon head Rock (i think it's called) I don't like it because it maybe looks like a dragon, but because the volcanic rock it's made from.
*Walking backwards to keep my hood up with the help of the wind
*Jampong (spicy seafood and vegetable soup) and homemade kimbab (california-rollish, no fish) in the resturaunt covered in letters about Marado.
*Rock the boat. The winds rocked us back and forth, so instead of taking the chance at getting sea sick I fell asleep like a baby rocked in a cradle.
*Miniature buildings. I could be in Sydney, New York, Seoul, and Italy at the same time.
*Monkeys on stilts, especially the shy one who turned it's back when bowing.
*A seal playing the piano.
*Trivia. Good idea to keep the kids occupied and happy on the car ride. I took it with a good spirit, but they were so loud my head was splitting.
*Seeing a fish swimming in the tank, captured, cut apart until it was sushi and sashimi, and then ate it.
*Also ate some other sort of raw sea creature, like sea cucumbers or something.
*The view from the top of Sunrise Peak, even though it wasn't sunrise.
*The Nolaebang (singing room) with 4 elementary kids the last night.
*When they thought my retainer case was for soap and I couldn't explain that it wasn't.
*Clemintines 결's galore. I was given five at a time. I was also given 3 yogurts to eat in the car and used them as something to did the oranges in. (After about 20 they don't taste as good plain.)
*About 5 meals a day.
*Being stepped on by an elephant (don't worry, the elephant knew what it was doing)
*Riding horses in cowboy gettup
*Hallansan- I didn't get to climb it, but just seeing the snowtopped peak in the middle of the island
*Always holding a little kid's hand

There's the trip in brief. I'll try to find all the places I went and post them too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.